Thursday, December 15, 2011

#31DDD: What song encapsulates how you feel today?



DMX - Ya'll Gonna Make Me Lose My Mind

Such a great song for so many different occasions. This is definitely one of my go-to songs when I'm feeling frustrated. Guess what. The new slate of passengers surrounding me on the train from Chicago to Texas are inspiring me to pull this out today.

Let me give you an idea of mentally what I'm up against. Sitting across the aisle is a gentleman smacker. If you know me at all, you know noises made while eating will break me into a thousand pieces. Even my own noises drive me crazy. To add insult to injury, he was eating a combination of Funions, tuna, and chili cheese dip.

I soon discovered that food noises were the least of my worries. I'm surrounded by a group of late teens/early twenty-somethings who are simply obnoxious. I curse. I've confessed here that I curse. However, it isn't every word out of my mouth in a public setting. Add to that drinking and the fact that I swear I heard one of them ask another if they were still high, and I was ready to pull my hair out.

The straw that broke this camel's back was the playing of music, loudly and with no headphones. When I politely asked if he had headphones, I was informed that he didn't. How am I going to survive 30 hours of this? Seriously? If you don't believe in Jesus, you should because he's certainly my only hope.

Lest you think I'm typing this from a prison cell, my prayers were answered in the form of available seats in the observation car. I'm camped out here for the time being and couldn't be happier. I think people forget that, when traveling, you have to tone down the extreme versions of yourself. I'm 100% for authenticity and self-expression, but many situations put us in close quarters with a wide variety of people. Sometimes, in order to all get along, we have to place common courtesy higher than our own wants.

1 comment:

  1. The song is now stuck in my head! And um, who brings Funions and tuna on a train. Really? I'm praying for ya girl!

    ReplyDelete