Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Let's get nostalgic: first adult novel

















Continuing with Friday's theme of pop culture firsts (inspired by an older PCHH podcast), next up is my first adult novel. I pretty much had the same problem when trying to remember the first official adult book I read that I did remembering my first cassette. I devoured books even faster back in the day than I do now.

Where these days I have a soft spot for post-apocalyptic and dystopian novels, I cut my wannabe adult teeth on the romantic dramas of Danielle Steel. I read a lot of her early catalog, and I'm fairly confident that one of the first real adult novels I read (thank you, Tom Green County Library) was Palomino. Lost love, new love, tragedy, and love again. Ah, sweet formula of happiness. I blame my steady diet of romance novels at a young age for the fact that I've steered pretty clear of them the past 15 years.

What was your first adult read?

5 comments:

  1. I read Black Beauty in 1st grade, although I'm sure there was a lot of it that went over my head. I had a beautifully illustrated edition from the 50's or maybe earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi4:23 PM

    I think it was The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. But I feel like I got a good dose of adulthood reading all of those Christopher Pike books in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a romance novel problem back in the day. It was so odd. I read regency romance novels at that. Lots of heaving bosoms and talk about the ton. Who does that at 15? Yup, that would be me. And just like you I haven't touched one in 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Flowers In The Attic series was my first adults novels I still love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - I've never read Black Beauty, but I also think I was one of the few girls who didn't have a love for horses. Sadly, I also associate Black Beauty with the children's section thanks to Barnes & Noble (grumble).

    Randi - Nice! My first Anne Rice was Tale of the Body Thief.

    Patty - I think we must of been girls searching for love :-)

    Carrie - I can never remember if I've read that one or if it's just movie scenes I'm remembering. How sad is that? I need to pick it up and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete