Wednesday, November 30, 2011






Last week the New York Times published a gift guide with 100 notable books of 2011. If this were a required reading list for the classroom, I'm afraid I could expect to fail. Honestly, of the novels on the list, only three are on my list to read at some point in the future: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta, and The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan. Do I feel like less of a reader because of this? Nah.

We all have varied tastes and frames and reference that draw us to different books. Most of the books that found their way into my hands this year were published in previous years. A few of my favorites that did come out this year include Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness, An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin, and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

What about you? Did you read any of the books on the Times notable list?

No comments:

Post a Comment