Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Hair...a feminist issue or issue of femininity?

I feel really shallow for blogging about hair, but it has been on my
mind since all of mine got chopped off. {Definition: short hair: 1.
can't be tucked behind ears. 2. Neck exposed. 3. Typically considered
boyish or mannish.} Let me state that I have an aversion to short
hair. This aversion applies only to me and not the millions of women
who can look cute sporting a pixie cut a la Meg Ryan and my mom. I
don't like or never wanted short hair on my head. This is why I've had
such a drastic reaction to my latest cut. Of course, me being me, I had
to search for a deeper meaning as to why I am so bothered. What I found
is that I view my hair as an extension of my femininity. Long hair
doesn't make me a woman, but it helped me express just how much of a
woman I was inside. I know this sounds effed up, especially since I was
prone to acts of laziness with my hair. But, no matter how much I
ignored it, it was always there to hide and protect me. My immediate
reaction to the new cut was that (1) I'd have to wear more makeup and
wear it every day and (2) I now had nothing to hide behind. I felt like
some of my femininity had disappeared.
Where does this leave me? Getting a grip on the fact that it's just
hair and that now I have a reason to learn to work a funky new cut.
Maybe I'll learn to do messy. Maybe short hair is femininity, too.
--radicalflower

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:43 AM

    Hello,

    There are two things that you need to keep in mind when making a post about your hair:

    1. Mino is an Asian male with a perm.

    2. Lloyd is a black skin head.

    I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

    Barron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about short hair. I recently cut mine to shoulder-length and already plan on growing it out.

    But I envy those women who can cut it all off, even shave it, and still look incredibly beautiful.

    Oh well...not my lot in life...

    ReplyDelete