Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wednesday: Week in the Life

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Week in the life, 9.11.13

Let's be honest. I was rethinking a workshop I'd registered for in Smithfield, Virginia until I realized it would mean I'd have a different setting to photograph for Week in the Life. Don't get me wrong, the workshop was still relevant. I was just having a hard time convincing myself it was smart to spend a day away from this week's to-do list.

I went to Smithfield for the rivers. The town is situated along the James, not far from Norfolk, Virginia Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. I had no idea that it was also some kind of ham mecca. Trina, the sweet waitress at the cafe where I had lunch, recommended a couple of dishes they are known for. My appetizer, Piggly Sticks, is ham pimento cheese, set in an egg roll wrapper and fried. Holy hell. Trina also recommended the Smithfield Packer, saying folks often said it was the best sandwich they'd ever had. It was a sandwich--really more a conveyor of all things pig...smoked pork, bacon, sausage, cheddar and a fried green tomato--that made me consider going vegan*.

I'm ending my day with some juice and a little reading.

*It made me more uncomfortable than the time I inadvertently had pig anus at Pig in DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment