Thursday, December 09, 2010

What doesn't belong?

Last night I spent an hour and a half in the Bass Pro Shop searching for waterproof boots or waders to encase my large feet. After struggling with more than my fair share of boots, I finally determined that it wasn't the size of my foot that was keeping me from finding something to keep my feet dry in the middle of a river but was instead my extremely high instep.

Waders
Photo by Luigi Anzivino

Not to be defeated, I marched over to the waders. As I combed through the display, pulling and stretching as necessary, I wondered if I could indeed pull them off. Before giving it too much more thought, the box was in my hand, and I was dodging holiday shoppers on my way to the fitting room.

wader - clay - mud - 22
Photo by Welliefreak

Well, boys and girls, it was not a pretty site. Do you remember that episode of Friends where Ross wears a pair of new leather pants on a date? That was me in the dressing room. I've never made sausage, but I reckon I now know what it's like to shove sausage into that casing. Clearly, neoprene is not for me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:00 PM

    Wading through mud or water with those things on looks like fun, but I'd probably be freaking out the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha....I feel your pain.

    ANY kind of boots/foot "articles of wear" give me fits. My calves are HUGE. *sigh* I've only ever found one pair of boots that fit.

    Well...your search continues...and I hope it yields success, my friend.

    ReplyDelete