Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What not to wear

During my bookstore shift last night, a man walks up to me and asks where I go to church. Already my guard is up. "Not around here. Somewhere in Alexandria*," I responded. "Oh," he said. "Are you apostolic?" At this point I'm perplexed and will readily admit I didn't know what "apostolic" was. I answered with "I'm baptist**." He then proceeds to drop the bomb. "Well, you dress the part, and it's so refreshing to see these days. Not many women do."

Fuck. In other words, I look plain and conservative. Looks like it's time to slut it up at work again. No more hair pulled back, skirt below the knee looks for me. Sigh.


*Leaving aside the fact that I technically haven't been to my church in a year.
**Though, technically, I have a real issue with the labels within Protestant religion.

7 comments:

  1. Hahhaa, I cna't believe he said that. What did he look like? And you don't dress conservatively. I could name other people there who do, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, one could have left links to aid poor readers for whom a) English is not their first language and might not know what apostolic means or b) are jewish and might not know what apostolic means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know whats funny. same thing happened over at Slice of Pink the other day too

    http://sliceofpink.typepad.com/blog/2007/05/qualified_to_re.html

    weird

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once had a Safeway worker tell me I looked nice. When I said, "Thank you," he continued by saying, "...but I like what you wore last Friday better." WTF?! Hello? Stalker much?! Needless to say, I never went back to that Safeway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:10 AM

    I forgot about the apostolics! They were big in Illinois when I was there.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:18 AM

    i think we're forgetting DEEE most important thing here... was he hot???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you should just go to work buck naked?

    (Send me photos!)

    ReplyDelete