Saturday, September 23, 2006

Tabula Rasa

It's easy to wipe away the signs of some drunken nights. Allie will be upset, but the drunken post had to disappear. It's not my style.

As I walked down the streets of DC this morning, I tried to inhale deeply only to choke on the exhaust fumes of a passing bus. Raked over by the wind, I dodged the splatter of last night's excess on the sidewalk. There is no one to wash away the evidence on the weekend, sending it careening down the stormwater drains. Leave it. We need the reminders of how far we fall and the loss of dignity.

I make my way to work and see the last of the prostitutes packing up shop. I pass the stolen shoes displayed on the foldout table. Dueling panhandlers flanked the entry to CVS and were all that stood between me and caffeine.

This is my city.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not upset! Besides, it wasn't myyy idea to drunkenly post last night ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah. i caught that last night. sounds like you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:05 AM

    without waxing poetic about vomit on the sidewalk, i also get a strange sense of pride and wonder at the very same things you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing around here...I really do. I'm like, "Aw, COWS AND HORSES! I LOVE IT HERE!" haha

    ReplyDelete