Sunday, August 12, 2012
Road to Saint Paul, List #1: Road Food
I'm back on the road this Friday and have spent stolen moments over the past week making lists and plotting routes on maps. I thought it would be fun to share some of my lists here this week. Let's get on to it!
When I was growing up, we took many a road trip, and it was all about the road food. It should come as no surprise then that one of the first lists I started plotting was local food along my route*. Well known watering holes, local food traditions, places recommended by local bloggers**. My research was unfettered by anything as traditional as Zagat. There are no guarantees I'll get to all of the places below, but I'm going to try to make a go of it.
- Dirty Frank's Hot Dog Palace (Columbus, OH), I love a fancy hot dog (see earlier visits to Frank and Polock Johnny's). Heard of this potential gem via Allie Lehman's twitter stream.
- Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream (Dublin, OH)
- Frontera/XOCO (Chicago, IL), I love Mexican food. I heard Rick Bayless is the bomb. The end.
- Edward's Drive-in (Indianapolis, IN), Breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches are supposedly an Indiana thing. Who knew?!
- The Bachelor Farmer (Minneapolis, MN), Farm-to-table, modern Nordic cooking. I've already got a reservation for Saturday night ;-)
I'm in need of good coffee shop locations. Hint, hint.
*We'll get to that list later this week. I've done quite a bit of hemming and hawing over potential routes.