Sunday, August 12, 2012

Road to Saint Paul, List #1: Road Food

wide open americana

I'm back on the road this Friday and have spent stolen moments over the past week making lists and plotting routes on maps. I thought it would be fun to share some of my lists here this week. Let's get on to it!

When I was growing up, we took many a road trip, and it was all about the road food. It should come as no surprise then that one of the first lists I started plotting was local food along my route*. Well known watering holes, local food traditions, places recommended by local bloggers**. My research was unfettered by anything as traditional as Zagat. There are no guarantees I'll get to all of the places below, but I'm going to try to make a go of it.

Dirty Frank's Hot Dog Palace (Columbus, OH), I love a fancy hot dog (see earlier visits to Frank and Polock Johnny's). Heard of this potential gem via Allie Lehman's twitter stream.
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream (Dublin, OH)
Frontera/XOCO (Chicago, IL), I love Mexican food. I heard Rick Bayless is the bomb. The end.
Edward's Drive-in (Indianapolis, IN), Breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches are supposedly an Indiana thing. Who knew?!
The Bachelor Farmer (Minneapolis, MN), Farm-to-table, modern Nordic cooking. I've already got a reservation for Saturday night ;-)

I'm in need of good coffee shop locations. Hint, hint.



*We'll get to that list later this week. I've done quite a bit of hemming and hawing over potential routes. 
**Stalker much?

5 comments:

  1. "modern Nordic cooking"

    Now, there's a phrase I don't hear around DC. Balkan cuisine? Sure. But modern Nordic? Not so much.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely reeks of a bourgie foodie thing, but I'm game to try. Judging by their menu, game seems to be about what to expect ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get really timid when it comes to new food places. I hate not knowing "how" to order stuff. Or how to pay- tipping? take it to the register? etc?

    Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get like that but tend to embrace being a nube (depending on where I am...would never in NYC). I stopped and got ice cream from this place on the road and was completely floored by how big and inedible it was when served. I apologized and said I'd never been, begging them to put it in a waffle cone for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:37 PM

    While something turn-based game is suitable for 4 stars and so on. Octopus
    bigger than hills and eagles flying around all could bring more innovation in their target audience so that they feel
    most comfortable with. But nowadays developers are successful
    in fulfilling the users' attention. Now, the player can develop his skills,
    abilities, this game, then games in the car travelling to a Scrabble word finder back in.

    Feel free to visit my web page; Traffic racer cheat download

    ReplyDelete