Sunday, October 10, 2010

Headed to Hampden

I made the trek up to Hampden, a Baltimore neighborhood off of Falls Road, yesterday to meet with two graffiti artists about my project. Yes, you read that correctly! I met a great local artist and studio owner who was willing to put out feelers for me.

I was super nervous because I am not good at meeting new people. I think the fact that they were artists made it worse because I have the tendency to view artists a bit like superheros. Anyway, the nerves were for not because these were two of nicest and talented guys. I'm really excited to be able to work with them and think they are going to add an amazing edge to my project.


Cafe Hon
Cafe Hon in Hampden where you expect to see John Waters walk in the door at any moment.

I don't want to talk about it too much on here because it's work-related, but one of the great things* about working on a stimulus-funded project is that, despite the political flack that you hear, it feels amazing to look out over the entire scope of the project and see the number of people who are working to make this happen. Knowing there are people from all walks of life and professions that range from construction workers to scientists to landscapers to researchers and academics to engineers and even to artists and the people who build our signs who might sleep easier at night worrying a little bit less about where that next bit of funding is going to come from is empowering.

Hopefully I'll pictures of the work in progress to share in the next couple of weeks.


Cafe Hon's Biscuits and Gravy
Amazing biscuits and gravy while waiting at Cafe Hon.



*Besides the whole restoring an ecosystem benefit thing. That definitely rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment