Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Swallowing the canary

I've always been intrigued by secrets and why people feel the need to keep them. Obviously, keeping certain things to yourself or a select few makes sense. You probably shouldn't tell the world about that affair you're having and might want to keep the surprise party an actual surprise. Other secrets, however, are just ridiculous. Is keeping the secret a source of empowerment? And, if you have a piece of information you plan on keeping secret, why would you tell someone you had a secret? Is that a not-so-subtle way of attempting to get someone to ask about the secret and thus shower you with attention? My apologies for this brief bit of rambling. I'm just intrigued by the human mind and the games it can get caught up in.

4 comments:

  1. Not that I think you're necessarily talking about me, but do I do this? I'm trying to think if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a specific instance, but you have had some interesting secrets ; ) I actually think we all do this to a certain extent. I know that even as I was writing this I could think of times where I did the whole "I have a secret but can't tell you" bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:54 AM

    What I hate is when someone tells you something that they want to keep secret. Something that may not even seem so secretive. But they don't tell YOU, the tellee, it's a secret. So you tell someone else, thinking it's not a secret, and you get in trouble for telling the secret.

    Confusing enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:46 PM

    I usually keep secrets when I am too embarassed by something I've done to admit it to other people. I also keep secrets when I feel it will help to protect the feelings of a friend or family member.

    ReplyDelete