Tuesday, April 26, 2005

unswerving allegiance

I'm talking about loyalty here. Merriam Webster's defines loyalty as (1) unswerving allegiance; (2) faithful to a private person to whom fidelity is due; (3) faithful to a cause, ideal, custom, institution, or product. My question to you is when does loyalty go to far? As a fairly typical scorpio, loyalty is a core belief and practice. However, I'm beginning to wonder if loyalty keeps me in things that I shouldn't be in.

What led me to this train of thought was an email from a coworker about the potential for a new position with my organization. I've been entertaining thoughts of a web-centered position with my organization but am having extreme feelings of guilt over even the thought of leaving my current program. I feel a loyalty to these people I would have a hard time breaking. Of course, once I started down this loyalty path I began to examine how loyalty plays a role in other arenas of my life. Take working at the Barn for example. Why haven't I cut my hours yet? Because this stupid loyalty thing has me feeling guilty for even thinking of leaving them in the lurch for an h.c. (have to admit a little scorpio power play is involved here, too). And relationships...when I say I've got your back...I've got your back. But is this healthy?

Is there such a thing as being too loyal?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27 AM

    i think there is such a thing as too loyal. i'm still loyal to the gd barn, today i offered to call back tonight to see if you guys needed an extra closer. *sigh*
    i'm glad i don't smoke because i could never quit anything cold turkey.

    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I've never actually quit a job because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:17 AM

    Please....."loyalty"? I'll drop whatever I'm engaged in if something better pops up.....or different.

    :)

    Barron

    ReplyDelete