Thursday, October 11, 2012

Nonfiction Reading List

I love Amy's idea of creating your own self-paced history course. Nonfiction was my jam while I worked part-time at the bookstore, but lately, I've been all about fiction. Her list got me thinking about some of the titles that I've been considering and ways I can round out my to-read list.

I think I may have to pick up Midnight Rising in anticipation of the upcoming movie, Lincoln!
  • Midnight Rising by Tony Horowitz - Lincoln, the John Brown raid in Harper's Ferry and the Civil War!
  • 1861: The Civil War Awakening by Adam Goodheart - I love everything I heard about this book last year on Slate. The Civil War as imagined through the day to day lives of the average person. Storytelling at its best.
  • Red Summer: The Summer of 1919 and the Awakening of Black America by Cameron McWhirter
  • Salem Possessed: Social Origins of Witchcraft by Paul Boyer - I have an odd fascination with witchcraft from an historical and alchemical perspective.
  • Annals of the Former World by John McPhee - The river and geology geek in me has been wanting to read this for years!
  • Parting the Waters: America in the King Years, 1954-1963 by Taylor Branch
  • Pillar of Fire: America in the King Years, 1963-1965 by Taylor Branch
  • At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years, 1965-1968 by Taylor Branch

1 comment:

  1. I love nonfiction! I think I tend to not pick it up because they seem to take me longer and I pressure myself to read a gazillion books.

    ReplyDelete