Monday, September 03, 2012

Shadow of Night

shadow of night

If you haven't started reading the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, you really need to stop stalling and pick it up. I finished the second book in the trilogy, Shadow of Night, early last month and was so completely satisfied with Harkness's second novel that I've been hesitant to pick up a new title and face potential disappointment. 

Harkness is an historian by training with a specialization in science and medicine in the 15-17th centuries, and it's the way her scholarship is so expertly woven throughout that draws me to this series. Before you balk, remember that this is a novel. She brings the history and science to life, all while building complex and emotional familial relationships. My heart swelled to bursting can be such a cliche phrase, but it's also such an accurate description of how this story left me.

P.S. She does some fun things with the explorers and poets of the school of night that I think you'll love.

No comments:

Post a Comment