Saturday, April 03, 2010

I might be addicted to decades past

I have a minor obsession with thrift stores. I think it's a combination of the potential for really inexpensive stuff, the thrill of the hunt, and the fact that I believe it's just smarter to reuse old things (if possible and particularly when they are made well). That said, I try to keep myself in check because I live in a little studio apartment, and I, in no way, ever want to be one of those hoarders. I'm lucky because most of the stuff that I find that is reasonably priced and simply amazing is in Texas. A new sofa won't fit on a plane, so it makes for the perfect gut check.

A couple of weeks ago I found some chairs I couldn't walk away from. I scored three mid-century Danish modern chairs for a total of $4.69. I'm I pretty sure they are truly mid-century and not reproductions based on the way they are constructed. Couldn't tell you for sure and don't really care. Last week I reupholstered the seats of two of the chairs and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I wish I had taken a before picture, but the fruits of my labor are below.

upcycled thrifted danish modern chairs

fabric closeup

5 comments:

  1. I love them so much that fabric is wonderful!!!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE the fabric on those chairs! such a good find! sigh . . . thrifting . ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What a great find! I am with you. I love going to thrift stores and sometimes it is really hard to pass up a "want" when you know you really don't "need" it.
    Beautiful fabric too.
    Oh... I found your blog via Janels craft swap!! So excited to see what everyone makes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great deal! the new fabric looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the fabric! So great!

    ReplyDelete