Monday, January 25, 2010

Reconnecting

I feel like I have so much going on lately and so many balls in the air that I've let some of my favorite pastimes slip. One of my goals (I have tons) for the new year is to get back into reading. Believe it or not, working part-time in a bookstore all those years* actually sort of killed the reader in me. As luck would have it, I stumbled upon two online reading challenges that were right up my alley.

After all of my talk of Nancy Drew, I had already decided I wanted to read the books again. It was fortuitous that one of my favorite twitters, Maud Newton, posted a link to the Nancy Drew Challenge. One year to reread all of the original Nancy Drew books. I'm in. I hope. Haha. Such a great idea by Deborah at Books, Movies, and Chinese Food.

The second online venture I'm hitching my wagon to is the Slow Readers Book Club started by Diana at our.city.lights. In an ode to the Slow Movement, she calls on everyone participating to kick back and actually enjoy the books we're reading instead of finishing just to rush on to the next book. Bring it on. I'm a huge fan of the Slow Movement (despite the fact that I can't seem to actually implement it in my life).

Anyway, here's to a year of reading!

*Did I mention I finally quit? Woohoo!

3 comments:

  1. I love to read too. I just finished the Glass Castle, which was super good. Now, I'm trying to find something new.
    Have fun with Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick and I were talking about that one day...how a lot of people just speed through books to finish them. Maybe that's why I like the teen books-bc they're fast, but i'm not missing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun catching up on reading :)You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete