Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Working It

okgo_treadmill_200110105520

I don't even know where to begin. Part of me wishes I had started writing this six weeks ago. Still, it's been such a big part of my life these past six weeks that I can't really not mention it any longer.

The basic gist is that I finally decided to take my health into my own hands and start living the way I've wanted to. This wasn't an overnight decision but one I've been thinking about for a while. One morning shortly after I moved away from home, I remember thinking "I'm an adult who can eat whatever I want, whenever I want!" Haha. I definitely owned that adult philosophy for quite a few years. Still, in recent years I've been wanting to eat more organic, locally based food but never thought I could afford it.

Turning 35 this year felt a little too adult. Things like creaky knees started to freak me out a bit more, and the fact that I couldn't buy any of the really cute thrift store clothes just got really annoying. Knowing that my mom and grandpa were now going to the gym (after never being gym people) was just another reality check. Paying off my non-existent car proved to be the final bit of motivation I needed.

In March, I joined a local gym and have been in apocalypse training* three to five nights a week. I'm finally taking time for me and leaving work at the right time most nights. I also started meeting with the nutritionist at the gym and agreed to give their metabolic tune-up program a shot. This nutritionist is a perky beast, but we share a very similar food philosophy, so it works. I also like that she can give me a scientific reason for everything she asks me to do (i.e., give up sugar, gluten, dairy, alcohol and many carbs).

Six weeks is most definitely long enough to form a habit, and I'm pretty okay with the way things are going. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I even look forward to going to the gym. I've been trying to convince myself it's my new hobby. I also can't complain about the fact that I've lost 24 lbs since I started. Weight loss was never my goal (health is), but it's a nice side effect.

This is most definitely not going to turn into a health blog (shudder), but with so much of my time now being spent at places like the gym, it'll probably warrant a mention every now and then. Besides, I kind of need to tell you how I tried to take on the treadmill and lost.

*how to out walk a zombie, strength training for post-apocalyptic ass kicking, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment